Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reflections...

This week started off on a not so good note. Lynsey's first day of school was Monday. She is now a fifth grader...where has time gone? I must say though, the first day of school is probably the hardest day of all for me. I want more than anything for Luke to be able to go to school and play with his friends, have fun at recess, be a little boy, and maybe even learn a few things too:) He should be starting third grade this week not having to worry about therapy, therapy, therapy! So, when I am feeling down, I will just randomly open my devotional to which ever verse comes open. Monday it was "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. How appropriate considering how good God has been to us and how we know and believe he has great plans for Luke. So, I let my sadness go and focused on Luke. I told him even though sis was at school, Luke gets to be homeschooled. He thought that was funny. We have turned his room into kind of a therapy room, so he gets lots of working out and learning things too I hope.

Monday afternoon he had therapy at St. Joe's. They were talking to me about their program, etc., so I did not get to see a lot of what he did. The speech therapist did tell me they did some cognitive testing on Luke. Basically, they tell him stories, scenarios, etc. from a book and he points to the correct answer. Well....drum roll please....so far in the testing he is at a cognitive level of a 6 year 4 month old!!! Praise God for this in a HUGE way because when they tested him in January, they determined him to be very severely cognitively delayed! So he has essentially made over 6 years progress in 7 months, and they still have more testing to do. She was very pleased with where he is at. So Monday ended up being a great day!

For those of you that know me well, you know I am a major planner and list maker. Well, if there is one thing I have learned thru this journey it is, our plans are not our own. I would have never thought or planned two years ago that my life would revolve around therapies, drs appointments, hospital stays, surgeries, etc. I mean Luke was just starting first grade, both my kids were in school all day. I thought now I will have all the time in the world....funny how quick that can change. You know what though, I would not change one second of it, if it means Luke getting better and he is! We will keep doing whatever we need to do for our little guy. I saw a quote the other day that said, "Sometimes we make plans and God laughs." How true that can be...my life plan certainly did not contain the events of March 6, 2007, and if I had a choice, that day would be wiped away. Still, I can't help but know that day is part of God's plan for our lives in some way, shape or form. So much good has come from that horrible day and all of you our family and friends that have been there with us are a huge part of that. So thanks...please continue to pray for healing and restoration in Lukey. Believe because as it says in Jeremiah 29:11...we know God (not just us) has great plans for Luke!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Well this was a great day for me! After reading how well Luke is doing I called Bonnie, actually got Rick and WOW Luke was there! So I got to talk to Luke and hear him talk! What a surprise! Next I'll have to get out there to give him a hug from Ohio in person.

Unknown said...

Stacey, You are such a GREAT MOM!! You have such a way of expressing your feelings. I'm crying at the beginning of your updates, laughing at your story of the week, and agreeing with you at the end when you say "God has great plans for Luke!"

Thanks for the updates!!