Thursday, August 2, 2007

New Program

Well we started Luke on his new program on Monday. I must say...this is exactly what he needs. It is very intense, and the first day he did not like it at all, crying very loud. Yesterday my aunt Kelli came over to help me, and he did so good! I think Kelli missed her calling as a therapist...she was really good with him. We got Luke to respond when we put a Baby Bottle Pop (sucker) in his hand, he will bring it up to his mouth. He will also respond about 80% of the time when we ask him where his nose is. You can tell he is using every ounce of strength and energy he has to do anything we ask him to do, but he is trying so that is very encouraging. He is also responding by making more and more sounds. I really think this program is the answer to our prayers. I know I have said it before that I believe Luke is going to recover from this. I know there are people that think I am nuts for having so much hope. I found a saying the other day that says, "Sometimes God calms the storm, sometimes God calms His child." I really believe that is what is happening here, the storm is still raging, yet I am calm because I really feel God telling me it is all going to be okay. Besides, I look at how far he has come in just the last month alone. My next goal is to get his feeding tube taken out! Last night he ate an entire jar of chicken noodle soup baby food which is chunkier, and this morning I gave him homeade oatmeal for breakfast. He ate both without a problem.

I have had a few people email and call me about the news yesterday with the electrodes to stimulate the brain in people with brain injuries. It is very ironic because the last visit we had with the neurologist, I asked him, why can't they just jump start his brain to wake him up. If only it were that easy...but maybe it is. From what I have read on the study and procedure, I think Luke is the perfect candidate for it. I emailed the doctor overseeing the research this morning about Luke, so pray he will answer. I know a lot of times they aren't so willing to try these things on children. If there is one thing I have learned from all of this...never say never. Luke has beat the odds every single time so far...I believe the best is YET to come!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think your nuts at all for having hope!!!! I think you and Mike and being so strong and doing so great. I know there has to be those really tough days, but you pull through for the well-being of your son.

Luke's story is truly inspiring to me... it has made me realize you need to tell the people you love the most how you feel everyday, because it can be taken away from you in second.

i wish nothing but the best for you and your family.

Carly (don & candy's daughter)

ScrapperGalJen said...

That is so encouraging! That feeding tube will be out in no time. The strength and determination your family has will make it happen. Keep the faith! It will see you through this.

Anonymous said...

I was amazed at Luke yesterday. It was such a joy working with him. Little Lukey is in there and just needs to learn how to express himself again. I can not explain to you how great it is to see him achieve something new. He gets excited about it too!!! Keep the up the hard work Lukey!!!

Anonymous said...

Stacey-
Your strength & determination are very inspiring! You are
not "nuts" you are a mom! I am so excited to hear about Luke's progress!

JRodine

Anonymous said...

Stacey -

You are not nuts at all. You are Luke's mommy and you want nothing but the best for him. I include Luke in my prayer groups list every week. We pray for Luke's full recovery and to give you and your family the strength to get through this.
Kate (friend of Lisa DiPasquale)