Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Surprise!

Monday morning I woke up to quite the surprise. I went to get Luke out of bed and get him dressed. When I pulled back the covers I noticed he had no G-Tube. After a quick moment of panic, I found the old one laying on the floor. I asked Luke if he pulled it out, and he gave me the sign for yes. So, I ran and got the new one to push it in. That was not happening. Apparently, he had pulled it out sometime in the night because by this point the hole had already closed up. I called the doctor to see what we should do. She said she was not as concerned since he is eating all of his food by mouth, the tube was just for liquids. So, she suggested we give it a month to see how he does drinking, then if we decide, we will have it put back in. We agreed, as we are certainly not ready for him to have yet another surgery and be put under more anesthesia. I asked Luke if he wanted it put back in and he quickly signed no....guess that is why he pulled it out in the first place! He has done great drinking since then, although still just taking small sips and we thicken all of his juice to nectar consistency. I guess it is one of those things, when you are forced to do something you can. So, going with that theory how can we force him to walk and talk? I just know he is capable of so much more than what he is doing, if only he would push himself a little...this just proves it. That was our excitement for the week! I think it ended up being a good thing, one less thing we have to worry about, and one gigantic step forward! Go Luke...sometimes I guess you just gotta take matters in your own hands. Believe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did have an exciting week! We'll pray that Luke drinks lots of fluids so he doesn't have to have another surgery. Go Luke!!!
Love,
Tammy

Unknown said...

Stacey, I'm still trying to picture you running after Luke in his jeep. What a stinker!! LOL Tell Luke we said hi and to keep up all the great things he is doing. All his excercising, eating and drinking on his own are all huge accomplishments.
Love, April

Sally said...

Luke seems to really know what he needs. He is a smart little guy!
Hugs from Ohio, Sally

kelli ellen kurtz said...

You never know what you can do until you have to do it! YEA LUKE! Maybe you can just quit responding to his signs for yes and no and that will force him to talk, or say "what did you say, I can't hear you?" and then he will have to tell you yes or no. Good luck with the fluids! Maybe try some pedialyte or gatorade. :)