Friday, February 20, 2009

Drinking great!

Luke has been doing great with his drinking in the almost 2 weeks since he pulled out his G-Tube. Praise God...that was a huge blessing in disguise! This week I had to make a video for the NACD of him "talking" so they can advise me on how to proceed or any changes to make in his therapy for that. So, the video was me telling him to say words for almost seven minutes. The kid did awesome! I am telling you, when he wants to perform, he will. Lynsey and my nephew were watching the video before I sent it, and after every word, they said, "Wow! He said it." I am anxious to see what they say when they get the video. I will try to upload it when I get it back or maybe make a shorter one of him saying a few words. As we approach the 2 year anniversary, since he was hurt I am more encouraged by his progress. Keep in mind, when we left the hospital most doctors told us any recovery we were going to get would be in the first 2 years...all I can say is our God is bigger than any timelines or dates doctors may give...Luke is living, breathing, recovering proof of that! I was cleaning thru some of his old toys and things we used to do with him in the beginning. I am truly amazed at how far he has come after looking at some of the simple, simple things he couldn't do then that are second nature to him now.

This week I contacted the doctor from Duke University that is doing the cord blood trials there. I had contacted her last September when we found out we were expecting about possibly using this baby's cord blood for Luke. She told me then, it would probably be 5-10 years away before they were doing sibling to sibling trials. Well...the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I figured I would email her every 6 months or so just to see what she says. This week she told me she is hoping in the next year to be able to do it. That is awesome news! I am cautiously optimistic, as so many things have to go right for it to happen. First, they have to do the collection correctly, the cells have to be viable and useable, and they have to be a match for Luke. Please pray all goes well and someday we may be able to try this in the States. I get so frustrated because Obama is for stem cells, but using embryonic cells, which have shown time and time again in the research I have seen to be very harmful. Why can't he support Cord Blood Stem Cell Therapy when it has proven time and time again to be the best and safest? Believe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,
Sorry it's been so long since I've written but my computer crashed in January and things have been crazy around here lately. I went back and read everything to get back up to date and it sounds like everything is going great right now and I'm thrilled with all the progress Luke has made. When I read about you possibly going to LA for therapy for him, I wondered if you thought about possibly renting a house for the three weeks. You might get some good deals and be WAY more comfortable. Just a thought. All of you look wonderful! Your baby will be here before you know it. Take care.
Love & hugs,
Nancy