Saturday, September 15, 2007

It's the Start of Something New...

You know I have watched "High School Musical" way too many times when I am using a song from it for a title, but I really do think it is the start of something new for Luke! I think everything we have been doing is now starting to come together. When we met with the neurologist last week, she said an important thing that needs to happen is for Luke to start following commands. Basically, the brain stem (where the bulk of injury to Luke's brain was) is the pathway through which all signals from the upper brain go out to different body parts causing the action. So, we really need to see that these signals are able to get out to the body and cause the action. Now, he had been following just a few commands such as finding his nose. This week I have really been working with him a lot. He will now stick out his tongue (although it doesn't come out too far,) wiggle his toes, press the buttons on a play piano, and bring an object up and down. The cutest thing about it is he gets his cute smile on his face each time he does something we ask. Sometimes he will cry too because I get a little overly excited and probably scare him. I am sure there are many other commands he would follow, we just haven't asked him the right ones yet. I thought of the toes and tongue this afternoon, and sure enough when I asked he did it. I really think we are on the brink of something big happening soon. There's a light at the end of this tunnel I know....Believe!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Stacey, Finally a Doctor that has more than 5 minutes to sit with you and Mike. She sounds very positive. Tell Luke we say HI.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! I believe everything is going to come together too! You are all in our prayers! Kate

Anonymous said...

You go Luke!!! Wonder if taking him of the meds this week helped? Keep up the good work Stacey!!

Anonymous said...

Very very exciting! I am with Mamaw and Papaw and they are very excited for you, mike and the kids. You are all amazing, a true inspiration to us all. Love you loads. Kim, Charlie, Mamaw and Papaw

Anonymous said...

I've been having some very positive feelings about Luke & his recovery lately. I'm overjoyed that prayer & your hard work are joined hand in hand. My faith has grown through witness of Luke's recovery, I will continue to pray... Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Stacey, you make me laugh and cry when I read your messages (such great wording). You are a true meaning of a Mom. Luke is a testament of the love you and your family have for him. He will continue his amazing healing I know: I Believe; we ALL Believe!

Anonymous said...

This news is so very exciting! Keep up the hard work!
JRodine