Friday, September 7, 2007

Gladiator Update

Here are some updates on Luke: We are able to wean him off of the anti seizure medicine. He will officially be done on the 14th:) He has an appointment with the new neurologist on Monday...please pray she is not a Dr. Doom. I have heard good things about her from a few different people, so I am excited. For Speech we are working with Luke on drinking from a cup, sucking , drinking with a straw, and blowing. He is doing good so far with the cup. I tried getting him to suck last night with some fun dips candy, but the little stinker bit off a piece of the hard candy instead. I let him chew it while watching him carefully, just to see what he would do, and he chewed it very quickly and swallowed with no problems. When I think that he is doing all of this with his eyes closed, it makes me that much prouder. When someone is standing next to him and he knows they are there, he will reach his arm up and try to find them. His sounds are getting louder, and he is responding more with smiles...it is a super cute half smile (since his left side nerves are still paralyzed.) He also has a lot better control of his head. I was driving the other day, and his head was starting to lean. I said, "Luke, move your head back to your spiderman pillow." He did it...three different times!!! We took him back to neuro link after a 5 week break, and he was very impressed with where Luke was at since the last time he had seen him. That was very encouraging, and he really thinks the left side is coming around. Just a side story...I have only taken Luke into a store 3 times now, because usually I just run errands when someone has him. Anyway, yesterday on the way to oxygen therapy I realized I had left my book at home. I stopped at Walgreens to get some magazines to read, otherwise it is very boring. Anyway, this lady comes up to me (out of no where) and the only thing she says is, "Your son will be healed." It kind of caught me off guard so I just kind of looked at her, so she said, "No really, your son is going to be healed." I said, "Thank you, I believe that too." And she smiled and walked away. She never even asked me what was wrong with him or anything or if he was my son for that matter. The ironic thing is when most people look at him when he is in the jogging stroller, they just think he is sleeping, not that something is wrong with him. Anyway...I have said it before I will say it lots more times I am sure...but this lady reminded me....Believe...thanks so much for the prayers!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to continue the wonderful updates on Luke. He is improving day by day and I know I speak for so many who feel blessed to be witnessing this miracle unfold. God is so good. Some day Luke will be able to tell you thank you himself for never giving up and providing him with your unending love and faith in his complete recovery. He believes, because you believe. And he WILL come back to you. God Bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I actually got chills reading about the lady in the store! It must be a sign of some kind. Luke is trying his best. Hugs from Ohio, Sally

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
I believe with my whole soul that the lady in Walgreens was a messenger of God. Whether or not she was an actual angel or just an earthly mouthpiece you will not know on this side of heaven. But I beleive she prophesied a word of hope and encouragement from the Creator Himself. Our culture has made God too small and we often forget that He can do anything He wants. If He wants to encourage you in Walgreens then He wil find a way. What a mighty God we serve.
Always praying,
Meredith

Unknown said...

Stacey I loved your update! I hope Lukes appt goes well. I giggled when I read what Luke did to his candy stick. It brought back some fun memories of Luke and Maddie--tug of war over the frosting bowl, playing dress up with Maddies play clothes. (I think we kept that a secret from Mike) Tell Luke I said "keep up the good work!" Love April

Anonymous said...

Your message just brought tears to my eyes (tears of joy that is). Your stories are so uplifting about Luke and I truly believe the lady in Walgreens was a true Angel from God doing her thing. You are such a wonderful example of a "Mom and Dad (you and Mike)." That is the cutest story about the candy and amazing how well he is responding more and more to you! Sounds like great stuff and I just know in my heart, this young man Luke is going to be okay! God Bless you and your family! Keep at it Luke - you are doing a great job proving this did NOT get the best of you! Keeping the Faith!