Friday, February 1, 2008

Trip to the ER

Well last night we spent four hours in the ER at PCH. Mike went to give Luke water in his G-Tube and noticed it had come out. This is the feeding tube in his stomach, we still use to give him water and extra calories at night. Usually you can just pop it back in, but he could not get it to go. So, after stopping at 2 other ER's and them telling us they could not do it, we went to PCH. We were there for four hours mainly because it took them forever to find one! The doctor finally ended up saying he would just go to his own office and get one. So, he did that, popped the new one in and we were on our way home...at midnight. Luke was SO good throughout all of this!

I also had a phone conference this week with the place that does the Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico. The doctor in California looked at Luke's CT scans and MRI's and said he thought Luke could benefit greatly from the therapy. He said we would be very pleased with the results we saw. I know you wonder if he says this to everyone. I have emailed 10 other families who have had this done, with amazing results after. The California dr also does the Oxygen Therapy and was a pioneer in starting it. He said he thought we would see a lot better results faster with the stem cells verses doing the oxygen therapy again. Basically this is how it works, we drive to San Diego. A driver picks us up at our hotel to take us to the clinic in Tijuana (which means I have to start getting a passport for Luke and I, Mike has one.) The cells are given to Luke via an IV. The cells are donated by American women who have delivered healthy babies. They are put through rigorous testing, then spun to get out the purest stem cells. The idea is the stem cells once given to Luke will go to the damaged areas in Luke's brain. The neat thing about stem cells is they are the building block for every cell in the body, so they can turn into nerve cells, brain cells, heart cells, anything. We are really considering doing it...there are basically no risks, other than it not working and us losing a lot of money trying. Mike and I both agree though, if we don't do it, will we always wonder what if. Like I said, I have gathered a ton of cases with great results. Plus the dr in California told us the one thing Luke has going for him he is completely healthy and on no other medicines. Please pray for guidance as we make this decision, if you had asked me a year ago if I would have taken my child to Mexico for treatment, I would have said absolutlely not! The fact of the matter is we are so behind here in the US...there are trials going on, but it is a long way from being approved. If I had kept the cord blood when I had Luke, we would have been able to have it done at Duke University. Anyway, pray for continued restoration in Luke and that we make the right decision on the stem cell therapy. Believe!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you all had to make a trip to PCH. Luke your a real trooper!! Stacey all your research is amazing. I never realized what stem cell therapy was.
Love and Prayers, April

Unknown said...

Luke,
I just wanted to say HI. I'm glad your getting better. Maddie says hi too.
Bryan

kelli ellen kurtz said...

Hi- I have heard about Luke through Kelly Henry and scrapbooking. Our family prays for you and we tell everyone we know about Luke and his marvelous story and they pray too. I have just now started reading the blog- this is my first entry to read and I agree and say GO FOR IT! If you don't go to Mexico, you will always wonder "what if." We will continue to pray. Please let us know what else we can do for you and your family (fundraisers? meals? babysitting?) The support is larger and deeper than you know.

God Bless and Peace be with You,
kelli kurtz