Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lots of Research

Not too much new to report this week. Luke has been working on being on all fours in a crawling position. I will say he is getting a lot stronger, but we still do have to give him a lot of support. We are continuing to do a lot of home therapy on the left side, and I can tell it is working...slowly, but surely. Luke started therapy this week with his second Physical Therapist. He made Lynsey's day when he said we should get Luke a Wii. He uses it with some of his other kids and it works on coordination without the kids even knowing they are getting therapy. Of course, it will be a lot easier to do once his eyes are open. He also suggested possibly trying horse therapy for Luke. He said that also helps with coordination and balance. Mainly I have been spending this week researching different things. Thank God for the internet! I can't even imagine not having access to so much info in a situation like this. Anyway, as you can imagine, I have lots of moms who are going through similar things as us. I have been following one kid who is a near drowning child here in Gilbert. His mom Lindsey is super sweet and has been an inspiration to me. If you get a chance, check out her site at www.prayforsantana.org and say a prayer for Santana. Since Luke was hurt I have had numerous people tell me to check out stem cell therapy or umbilical cord blood therapy. For whatever reason, it has been in the back of my head, but I never really did anything about it...until this week when I saw Lindsey write about it on Santana's blog. I have found some AMAZING results with this therapy in my research. The only bad thing is it is experimental and not readily available in the US (and probably will not be for a long time.) I have found numerous doctors that will do it outside of the US. One of the doctors is getting Luke's MRI and CT Scans to see if he would even be a candidate for it. So, please pray for guidance for us if this is the direction we need to go with Luke. I just want to be able to say at the end of every single day for however long it takes, that I have done EVERYTHING I can do to get him better because I KNOW we will get to that point. Believe and please pray for continued restoration. "Then Jesus told his disciples that they should always pray and NOT give up." Luke 18:1 (I promise a new picture the next time I post.)

4 comments:

Sally said...

Prayers won't ever stop for Luke. He is trying so hard. Hugs to you all. Sally

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing mom! I may have info on the horse therapy- we have friends who use to run a camp doing horse therapy for kids w/ special needs but am not sure of they still do. I'll call and find out!

JRodine

Unknown said...

Luke,

I'm glad your getting better. Maddie and I hope to see you soon. I got a real nice javelina yesterday.

Bryan

Anonymous said...

I am a true believer in the healing power of horses. It can be amazing just to be around them! Dogs also have an amazing healing power. This seems like a GREAT idea! Love ya'll, Jamie Williams