Friday, October 19, 2007

Tests

Luke had a Barium Swallow Test done today. During this test, they give him different consistencies to swallow to make sure he is not aspirating it into his lungs. I was shocked (and still am!) at the results. We have been giving Luke applesauce, baby food, yogurt consistency food for months. Well the tests today showed he is not capable of these consistencies! He should only have up to a pudding thickness. Now, we had the test done at PCH, and quite frankly I just really think we have bad luck at that place. First of all, the seat they had his sitting in was very awkward. It did not fit him. I was trying to feed him, hold his head, and make sure my arm wasn't in the way for the x-ray. Plus, I could tell the way he was swallowing WAY slower than he does when he is eating at home. I could not believe it. It was almost like he was not going to perform no matter what. I even asked the lady giving the test how this could be the case when he has been eating applesauce and baby food for months; she really did not have an answer for me. I mean before when he aspirated in the hospital he got pneumonia in a matter of hours. It does not make sense to me at all! Things were going so smoothly with Luke's progress, then another bump, before we get to the light at the end of this tunnel, but I KNOW it is coming!

Anyway, Luke has an MRI on Tuesday at...PCH again. Please pray that our bad luck at that place is done, and we will have positive results from the MRI. We will meet with the neurologist and the eye dr on the 29th to go over the results. Please pray for Luke's eyes to open before then. I just feel like he is so close. We tell him to open his eyes, and we can see him trying. Thanks so much for your prayers...believe!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stacey, We will continue to pray for all of Lukes test. He is making such great progress. Your patience, understanding and faith has gotten you this far. Keep believing.
Love, April

Theriggs said...

I'd take your expertise over that of some PCH nurse anyday. : ) You are still in our daily thoughts and prayers. We'll up the ante for both of those with the big tests this next week. If anyone could pull it off, it would be our Jack Sparrow! We love Luke!

-The Riggs

Anonymous said...

Prayers continue to go your way. Stay strong, I'm sure Luke is trying so hard and one day soon his eyes will open to see his loving family. Hugs from Ohio, Sally