Sunday, June 9, 2013



Well we have had a change of plans on the Texas trip.  Luke had his worst ever day behavior-wise last Monday.  Among other things it was very difficult to get him loaded into the Suburban.  He has learned to straighten his arms and legs and push against us if we are loading him and he does not want to go.  Well after I did finally get him loaded, he decided that he was going to get unbuckled.  He lunged at me and grabbed onto my arm with all of his strength.  We were driving in the middle lane of three lanes of traffic, so it is pretty much a miracle we did not get in a wreck.  I also had Lacey and my two nephews in the car with me.  My older nephew I could tell was a bit panicked, and even asked if I wanted him to call someone to come and help us.  It was one of those moments where you see your life flash before your eyes, and in that moment I knew, no matter how much I might think I am able to handle him when he is like that, it is not worth risking my safety or his.  The other thing is, when he is in that mode, it is impossible to get thru to him.  He is basically in fight or flight mode, where he is determined to win no matter what.  Most of the time there is no real trigger for the behavior. 

Before we can do anything we have got to get these behaviors under control.  The thing that is so hard, is he is not always like this, some days he can be perfect, but if he is off, he is really off.  I have talked to neurologists, neuropsychologists, behavior treatment centers this week, and there are a few options.  For now, we are using the medicine the neurologist prescribed.  It does help the behavior, but basically knocks him out where he just wants to sleep all day, so that is not the answer either.  If anyone has any experience with Risperdal, I would love any comments good or bad that you may have on it.  It just amazes me that one little pill can have such an effect on his behavior to the point it knocks him out.  The only medicine we use is Advil, Aspirin, Cold/Flu, or allergy medicine, so this is new to us.  While I am extremely disappointed that we are not going to Texas, I am hopeful that when one door closes maybe another will open and we can get a happier Luke out of it.  I always tell the doctors if we could just channel the energy he has when he is mad or angry into something positive, he would amaze us all!  Thanks for your continued prayers!


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"  John 16:33


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28


Here is a recent pic, you can see just how big he has gotten...

So thankful for this girl, she has been a big help this week as we have dealt with him, seems she can always bring him back to reality...

No comments: