Thursday, October 4, 2012




In just three days we will be boarding a plane to go to Mexico for Luke's big stem cell treatment.  We are asking for prayers for so many things from this trip.  First and foremost that all goes well and we make it home safely.  Secondly, that we see improvements from the procedure.  Luke is going into this as the first pediatric TBI patient they have treated.  This can make a mother very anxious...setting off into these uncharted waters.  I have to say, the staff has been VERY accommodating and helpful with my question overload.  I am sure they all can not wait to meet the mom with a million questions.  They will pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel.  Then, they pick us up everyday fora visit with the staff.  On Monday they will most likely do the stem cell aspiration where they take the cells from Luke.  Then on Wednesday is when they will most likely re inject them. So those are the big prayer days.  I will try to update on this blog, but for sure will be updating on my Facebook page, so send me a request if you want to see the updates there.  I am just not sure what the wifi will be like to allow me update here.

Here is another email I received from another mom whose child with autism has the procedure done at the clinic we are going to:
We have been in for two stem cell treatments, one when our son, Sam, was 8 and one last Christmas when he was 10.

Both times we saw positive changes immediately, within the first few days.  That may not be usual but both times was the same for us.  Our son's autism presents sort of all over the map. In some ways he is right on target and in others he is extremely far behind developmentally. He also presents with difficult behaviors.  Sam's behaviors did improve. He has much more awareness of his surroundings. Also his coordination has improved as well.  
There seems to also be an overall maturity about him as well.  He's done some novel things like get himself in and out of the shower and get dressed for bed.  If he's hungry now he just finds himself something to eat until someone makes him something. So I would say his independence has improved as well. These are hard measurable markers and only people really close to him can tell that he has changed in those ways.
He is also making sense of more Who What Where questions - answers he could not give us before. 


Thanks so much for following us on this journey!  We are certainly expecting a miracle and thank you all for your prayers to get us there.  I was working out today and one of my favorite songs came on, a reminder to me for sure to have no fear and follow where you are led.

Be strong in the Lord and,
Never give up hope,
 (He's) going to do great things,
I already know,
God's got His hand on (this) so,
Don't live life in fear
. -from "The Words I Would Say" by Sidewalk Prophet


2 comments:

NP said...

You are all in my prayers and I can hardly wait to hear how everything is going. Safe travels.
Love & hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

My name is Jordan and I'm great friends with Rebecca Deadmond! I've heard so much about Luke and his journey - he is such a fighter and an inspiration to all! I hope everything goes well and will be praying for your family! :)

XO

Jordan