Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Finally!

So sorry for the lack of updates! We made it thru our first week at Napa Center and Luke is doing AWESOME!!!!! It is always good for me to get the opinions of other people who haven't seen him in awhile as to how he is doing, as we see him everyday. So things they have noticed since the last time: his left hand is a lot looser and more functional, his posture is better, his reaction time is faster, and he seems more aware. Baby steps,,,but steps forward indeed! This session we are only here for two weeks so we added an extra hour onto the day, so Luke goes 8-3:30. I must say he is working like a champ....never complaining at all. Yesterday his therapists all said it was his hardest working day yet. I think he understands all this work is paying off and can see his body getting stronger and he can do more. We flew home this weekend, and had landed back in LA on Sunday. We were waiting for everyone else to get off the plane,and I look over at Luke and he was grabbing onto the seat in front of him bringing himself up to a standing position. Guess he was sick of sitting down....gonna have to watch him a little closer now I think!

In other exciting news, I have been following the blog of a little girl from Show Low who suffered a brain injury after being accidentally run over a year ago. She is similar to Luke in that her entire left side of her face is paralyzed due to nerve damage. The doctors will tell you after six months, it can no longer be repaired. Well....obviously in Luke's case the doctors have been wrong WAY too many times! So I check this girls blog this weekend and back in October she started seeing a Chiropractor Neurologist (in Gilbert no less) for nerve stimulation. She is now moving her left side slightly including eye movement she did not have before, all this after just one treatment. I called the office the next day. They were very nice, want to see all of Luke's medical records, they even have a research grant for the work they are doing! The thing that makes me mad is there is a test called a nerve conduction test that has NEVER been done on Luke or even recommended for that matter to see where the problem is for sure. Who knows maybe they will do this test and find out the nerve is severed, in which case it can not be repaired, but better to know for sure instead of just speculate right? So we have that appointment for Nov. 30th. I am very anxious about it...pray these people can help wake up his left side. The thing is Luke knows it does not work right. We had family pictures a few weeks ago and kept telling Luke to smile (even if it is only a half smile.) He was getting frustrated and finally put his hand to his mouth to form a smile. The best part is...she got it on film, I will post it when I get the pics back. Smart kid he is I tell you. Now here are some pics of the hard work he has been doing. Thanks for all your prayers....and a huge thanks to our great neighbors, the Riggs, Luke LOVED his special delivery...made his day after a hard day of work on Monday!



Working barefoot on walking


Playtime in the balls after a hard day's work

Weight lifting time


Crawling Practice


In the Spider Cage.

2 comments:

Lindsey Black said...

I was just talking to Dr. Gifford (SP?) It is his intern or resident that worked on that little girl. Dr. Gifford is my neighbors father. Holy smokes. He is like... this is fun. I can't wait to get my hands on Santana. He said Napa is a BIG no no for Santana and that is what reset his seizures after stem cells. He needs easy slow stuff he said. That is why 1 protocol shouldn't be used for every child I guess. SUPER nice people. He said he can tell me where Santana's seizures are coming from. Obviously Nanas is a LOT more difficult case. I am sure they are going to do WONDERS on Luke! I can't wait to see that! I was going to write you and I am just shocked you had that on here. THIS IS MEANT TO BE!!!!!! I believe Luke will have use of his eyes after this!!!!!

NP said...

Wow ~ lots of good things are happening! I will be praying right along with you that Luke will have good news when he goes to the Dr. in Gilbert.
Love & hugs,
Nancy