Monday, May 18, 2009

Houdini...

There's a song with the verse, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it all!" That is certainly the case with Luke, we are getting the recovery, rebooting, whatever you want to call it slowly but surely! Luke's PT has been working with him on getting out of the wheelchair. Well Luke loves to do it himself! It is sort of a graceful slide out, but we will take it! Now, when he is sick of being in there, he just slides out himself. He continues to be houdini in his standing lite gait. The thing has 7 buckles you have to undo to get out, and they are pretty hard to press....well today Luke undid 6!! He also will now grab the control and move himself up and down. Again...be careful what you wish for. I used to be able to get some cleaning or laundry done, while he was standing, now I feel like I can't leave the room because he might unbuckle himself. Somehow today, when I came in he had pushed himself back about 2 feet, not sure if he walked back or not, it happened so fast!

I am super excited to be heading to LA in two weeks now for his intense therapy. Another boy, whom I have mentioned many times, is there right now, and his mom loves it! Be sure to check out his site and say a prayer for him:
http://www.prayforsantana.org/. If anyone has any ideas of things we should do or see while in LA, please let me know. If this 107 degree weather keeps up, I ceratinly will not miss it here, although we are flying home on the weekends.

Thanks your your prayers...be careful what you wish for...you might just get it all!

4 comments:

Dustin & Kylee Nickerson said...

This is so fun to read! Luke is doing so many new things all the time! What a blessing he is! What is he doing this summer? How long will you guys be there? You will have to look Ade up! Lynsey would love that! Thank you for sharing your good news...
Kylee

Anonymous said...

Wow, that wonderful Luke never ceases to amaze me. I'm thinking that trip will do him wonders! I love that saying because my mom used to say that. She always "wished" she had curly hair . . . once she started getting chemo . . . she got what she wished for. That expression always makes me smile.
Love & hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Luke continues to amaze us all, what an inspiration he is and will always be to me! It is enlightening to read Luke's accomplishments, they are yours as well. Your hard work eminates your dedication and love.. God Bless.
Marilyn

kaylee said...

great job lukey i love you as a cousin
your great cousin kaylee